The exploration of Jewish identity on the University of Washington campus started with the Menorah Society in 1913 — a direct response to Jews being barred from fraternities and sororities. Since then, the college has done a more admirable job of providing a safe place for Jews to be Jews. No one embodied that spirit of inclusion more than Alfred Shemanski, a Jewish civic leader who served on the Board of Regents from 1933 to 1945, including two terms as president. The establishment of the Stroum Center for Jewish Studies in 1976 elevated Jewish outreach to a higher level.

Filed under
Show Comments